Sunday 27 October 2013

[REVIEW] Slammed

"How did I not see this?" he says as he drops his hands and turns toward me. "You’re still in high school?”
...
“Me?" I reply. "How did the fact that you’re a teacher not come up? How are you a teacher? You’re only twenty-one.”

Title: Slammed
Series: Slammed #1
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Atria Books
Published: 2012
Number of Pages: 206
Format: E-book
ISBN: 978-147-6715-91-9
I rate it 5/5 stars

Layken Cohen and her family move to Ypsilanti, Michigan from her old house in Texas, six month after her dad passed away. He then meet Will Cooper, the 'hot' boy who lives across her house and always helps her and her family.

At first, Layken thinks that her life in Michigan would be awful, but after seeing Will, she is so sure Michigan will be amazing. Three days hanging out with Will is one of the reasons. Layken and Will like each other although they just have met several days ago, not several years ago.

But… will their love story still go on when Layken found out that Will is her teacher at her new school?

According to the thesaurus...
and according to me...
 
there are over thirty different meanings and
substitutions for the word
 
mean. 
Jackass, jerk, cruel, dickhead, unkind, harsh, wicked, hateful, heartless, vicious, virulent, unrelenting, tyrannical, malevolent, atrocious, bastard, barbarous, bitter, brutal, callous, degenerate, brutish, depraved, evil, fierce, hard, implacable, rancorous, pernicious, inhumane, monstrous, merciless, inexorable.
 
And my personal favorite—asshole. 
Layken's slam

This book's so emotional I found myself crying and laughing at the same time, hating and loving Will Cooper and Layken Cohen at the same time, and forgetting time as I continued reading.

I'm not such a big lover in poetry, but I love the poetry (or they call it 'slam' here) which are pouring over some of the pages in this book. I had made my poetry, though, whenever life's getting hard and I had nothing to do except express what I felt in a piece of paper. And it helped. Those hard feelings didn't last forever, but I keep writing poetry although I never really love poetry and am great at doing such thing. As Will ever said in his class, "...there's no points, the point is poetry." Well, I couldn't agree more as they use slam/poetry to express their feelings. It's far from lame but absolutely romantic and sweet.

The forbidden relationship between Will and Lake is complicated. Sometimes I thought it was okay for them to keep dating. But most of the time I thought they're unfortunately can't be together because each of them is in complicated status, Will is Lake's teacher. (I found them confused, too.) And if they were continuing their relationship, I don't doubt there will be someone calls Will pedophiles. But also, you should know that deep down I pity them, I love them, and I want them to be together. They're meant to be together!

As their complicated relationship states itself as the main theme, I found friendship and family values here is definitely amazing and make me feel warm. I love Kel, Lake's lil bro who is very strong at the point of Acceptance. And he's got that kind of break-the-silence characteristic, which is what I love from gorgeous Kel. And a mother like Julia Cohen is definitely the strongest survival, the best buddy, and the greatest advice giver. Also the other characters like Eddie, Gavin, Nick, Caulder, they're all amazing people I met in this amazing Slammed. :))

Definitely will read the continuation, Point of Retreat!

"There are three questions every woman should be able to answer yes to before they commit to a man. If you answer no to any of the three questions, run like hell. Does he treat you with respect at all times? That’s the first question. The second question is, if he is the exact same person twenty years from now that he is today, would you still want to marry him? And finally, does he inspire you to want to be a better person? You find someone you can answer yes to all three, then you’ve found a good man." –Julia 
"It wasn’t death that punched you, Layken. It was life. Life happens. Shit happens. And it happens a lot. To a lot of people." –Eddie 
Nothing is permanent. The only thing any of us have in common is the inevitable. We'll all eventually die. –Layken

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...